The 2023 Australian National Centre for Latin American Studies Prizes for Excellence in Research will honour research that has made an important contribution to Latin America by an ANU student.
The prizes are awarded under the following categories:
- Honours Thesis/Masters Thesis (combined category) – $500
- PhD Thesis – $1000
Deadline: 1 December 2023
**NOTE: for the 2023 round, theses completed at any point in 2023 will be eligible.
Field of study
All, with a specific focus on Latin America
The award is available each year to any ANU student/higher degree researcher who:
- is a domestic or international student
- is enrolled in an undergraduate/postgraduate degree program
- for their Honours or Masters thesis prize, has received a grade of at least 80% (HD/H1) on the thesis
A selection committee is convened by ANCLAS to decide the award for each category. Prize recipients are selected by sub-committees on the following basis:
- Quality in the specialist disciplines or field (as evinced in the examiners’ reports)
- Evidence of how far the thesis was seen to advance the field of Latin American Studies.
The following criteria will be taken into account in assessing the achievement of the two aims articulated above:
- Originality of argument in relation to extant literature
- Clarity in development of argument
- Critical use of evidence, including textual materials
- Appropriate choice and use of methods
- Lucidity in writing
- Consistent, proper academic format of citation, bibliography as per the field
- The work must have been completed and examined (or published) during 2023
ANCLAS reserves the right to make no award if it considers there is no applicant of sufficient merit.
ANCLAS may also vary the number of prizes if multiple winners are identified.