The Australian National Centre for Latin American Studies Prizes for Excellence in Research will honour research that has made an important contribution to Latin America by an ANU HDR student or staff member.
The prizes are awarded under the following categories:
- Journal article published in 2022 – $500
Field of study
All, with a specific focus on Latin America
The award is available each year to any ANU staff member or student/higher degree researcher. The article must have been published (including online first/ahead of print, where applicable) in 2022.
A selection committee is convened by ANCLAS to decide the award for each category.
Prize recipients are selected by sub-committees on the following basis:
- Quality in the specialist disciplines or field (as evinced in the examiners’ reports)
- Evidence of how far the research was seen to advance the field of Latin American Studies.
The following criteria will be taken into account in assessing the achievement of the two aims articulated above:
- Originality of argument in relation to extant literature
- Clarity in development of argument
- Critical use of evidence, including textual materials
- Appropriate choice and use of methods
- Lucidity in writing
- Consistent, proper academic format of citation, bibliography as per the field
- The work must have been completed and examined (or published) during 2022
ANCLAS reserves the right to make no award if it considers there is no applicant of sufficient merit.
ANCLAS may also vary the number of prizes if multiple winners are identified.
For the article prize, the work need not be restricted to a Latin American Studies journal; however, the work must demonstrate clear and compelling relevance to scholarship on the region.